Sheppard Air Force Base plays a huge role in our local economy, but the partnership between the base and our region extends much further than that. Here at the Chamber of Commerce, we work closely with base leadership, Sheppard Military Affairs Committee and other supporters of the base. Sheppard Air Force is unique, not just to Wichita Falls, but also to the Air Force in that it is the only base that conducts both technical and flying training. Additionally, the support the base provides to the community is crucial. Without volunteers from Sheppard some of our area’s largest events, including Hotter’N Hell 100, would not be possible.
Sheppard celebrates several milestones in 2016, including its 75th anniversary in Wichita Falls, the 50th anniversary of German pilot training, and the 35th anniversary of the 80th Flying Training Wing!
Find out more about Sheppard Air Force Base:
Sheppard Impact provided by SMAC:
- SAFB is approx. 20% of our local economy – $1.08 billion
- SAFB is the largest employer – 15,000 civilian and military jobs
- Home to almost 4,000 military retirees – receiving $86 million in federal disbursements
- The SAFB 82d Training Wing provides technical training to about 80,000 Airmen, Soliders, Sailors, Marines and International Students
- SAFB is the Air Force’s fourth busiest airfield
- Almost every plane in the USAF is maintained by a maintainer trained through SAFB
- The 80th Flying Training Wing generates 66,000 sorties annually while training combat pilots for the U.S. and NATO allies.